Find Your Perfect School
Today, healthcare is one of the rapidly growing industries across the US. Americans spend more than 3 trillion dollars each year on healthcare services alone. At present, there are more than 16 million healthcare workers in the healthcare industry in a variety of roles.
The Labor Statistics Bureau discloses that the overall employment in healthcare occupations is said to increase by 13% between 2021 and 2031. This increase is expected to generate about 2 million jobs over the decade. Of those, roughly 1.9 million job openings are projected to come from replacement and growth needs.
An online Bachelor’s in Health Studies degree program focuses on applied science to maintain and improve the overall health of living things. Students complete the program with a better understanding of health and disease prevention, as far as the human body and other living things are concerned.
Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences degree majors are required to complete courses that involve the study of chemistry, biology, and social sciences. After they complete the general education requirements, they will start to focus on specific concepts within genetics, physiology, and anatomy. While so, graduates can also end up snagging non-clinical roles, like health services managers.
Like most bachelor’s degree programs, applicants are required to submit their high school diploma, transcripts or GED equivalents, and standardized test scores.
There will always be a demand for skilled professionals who know and understand the science of human nutrition and health. Whether you are keen on discovering and researching the latest breakthroughs within the health sciences field, or you wish to use your research to help improve health conditions among all living things, then a Health Science degree is a perfect option for you.
As technology is significantly rising, the healthcare industry is becoming more advanced, and there is definitely no better way to be involved in this field than earning a bachelor’s degree in Health Science.
Our list features the colleges and universities and their undergraduate Health Studies programs offered online. Each program stands out with these strong academic features:
- Offered mostly in a blended or hybrid format that allows for a convenient way of learning,
- May require online students may be required to complete laboratory course requirements to emphasize experiential learning,
- Features coursework that focuses primarily on the improvement of lifestyle and health, integrating essential, science-backed health principles,
- Designed to master a student’s critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills expected of professionals in healthcare and health services,
- Utilizes a top-rated virtual learning platform that allows for worry-free connection and instruction between adult learners and educators, and offers easy coursework accessibility,
- Taught by seasoned experts in the field, including healthcare professionals,
- Provides networking opportunities in the healthcare field after graduation, on top of superb student services and support,
- Offers affordable tuition options on top of financial aid opportunities,
- May feature ease of credit transfer into a master’s degree completion program in the Health Sciences,
- Prepares students for entry-level career paths in the healthcare system and relevant healthcare organizations,
- Regionally accredited by academic agencies such as the HLC-Higher Learning Commission, MSCHE-Middle States Commission on Higher Education, and SACSCOC-the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges,
- and recognized by Health Science industry organizations.
Read our Methodology for details.
5 Best Online Health Science Degree Bachelor’s Programs
University of Missouri-Columbia
Located in Columbia, Missouri, the University of Missouri-Columbia is a public research university and is also the flagship school of the four-campus University of Missouri System. With a graduation rate of 75%, Mizzou offers all undergraduate students hands-on learning and real-life experience in their field. Over the years, the school has been consistently ranked one of the best college towns in the entire nation.
The University of Missouri-Columbia offers more than 300 undergraduate and graduate programs. It also has over 100 online degree and certificate programs for those who cannot go to school onsite.
Mizzou’s Bachelor’s Degree in Health Science is offered 100% online. It is designed to prepare prospective students for a broad spectrum of non-clinical roles and helps them fulfill requirements for both graduate and professional programs.
- This bachelor of science in health sciences degree program is an interdisciplinary coursework that strongly focuses on policy administration, population health from local to global levels, and the health sciences.
- Through this online health science degree, students are trained in how they can influence patient care in a leadership, administrative, or policy role. This is also a perfect stepping stone for those who wish to continue their education in more specialized programs.
- As students in this online degree program expand their skills, they are also provided with easily accessible hands-on learning and content. Throughout this online bachelor’s degree, there are faculty members to guide each student’s progress.
- This health sciences online program requires 120 credits to complete and can be completed in 4 years.
The University of Missouri-Columbia is an HLC-approved school.
Northern Kentucky University
Northern Kentucky University is the third-biggest university of Greater Cincinnati’s four large universities. This public university, located in Highland Heights, Kentucky, delivers student-centered and innovative education and engages in impactful creative and scholarly endeavors– all these empowering graduates to achieve fulfilling careers and meaningful lives.
The SACSCOC-approved Northern Kentucky University offers associate degree programs in a limited number of areas, along with eight bachelor’s degrees. NKU also features over 30 comprehensive and affordable online degrees to fit the busy lifestyle and ultimate goals of distance learners. Online students can either take advantage of the school’s traditional 16-week courses or the accelerated 7-week programs.
The Health Science Bachelor’s Degree at NKU is suitable for professionals who already hold associate degrees in health science programs. Offered 100% online, this health science degree program prepares students for new career opportunities in healthcare settings.
- This 33-credit hour health science degree online can be completed in just 12 months and gears students for career mobility in a variety of roles in health organizations.
- Some of the topics included in this health sciences program are public health, community health, medical and health services, health management, health administration, leadership/management, health informatics, global health, current trends and cultural issues in health care and management of chronic diseases.
- The upper-level courses blend technical and humanistic theories to give online learners a more solid foundation for advanced positions while simultaneously preparing themselves for graduate school.
- Through this health science bachelor’s degree, students will learn how to use their critical-thinking skills.
- This online Bachelor of Health Science program gives more room to students to study legal and ethical issues usually encountered in healthcare administration, as well as how chronic disease prevention and aging can impact the patient’s quality of life.
This online health sciences degree is offered with the same affordable, pay-by-the-course tuition to both out-of-state and in-state students. The BS in health science cost of attendance is $275 per credit hour.
Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Located in New Brunswick, Rutgers University-New Brunswick is a public research university composed of four campuses in New Jersey. This school is a member of the country’s most notable group of research universities globally. Being one of the oldest universities in the US, Rutgers-New Brunswick provides students with centuries-old traditions of academic excellence and innovation.
An MSCHE-approved institution, Rutgers University-New Brunswick has more than 200 undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs of study through its onsite campuses, as well as online; at satellite sites; and in collaboration with partner institutions. Its BS in Health Sciences– Degree Completion Program for Health Care Professionals is for those who have a passion for healthcare or are already members of a healthcare team and other allied health professions.
- This online health science degree program provides students with a solid foundation in health science courses which will pave their way for professional advancement in gerontology, healthcare delivery and management, occupational therapy, physical therapy, and psychiatric rehabilitation.
This health science degree online has three tracks:
Students gain the skills and knowledge to manage, develop, and provide services for the growing aging population.
Health Care Management
Students gain expertise to craft, coordinate, and manage health and medical services within a healthcare organization.
This is where students will learn how to properly assist people living with serious mental illnesses by helping them live productive and meaningful lives and reach their recovery goals.
Students will learn what it’s like working in a collaborative professional environment, and understand the importance of always putting the interests of their patients first. Those who wish to quickly find health science careers may choose the full 15-week courses and study full-time. Otherwise, there is an 8-week session option for part-time students.
To qualify for this online bachelor’s degree in health science, students should have already earned their associate’s degree from an accredited allied health education program. They must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.
Western Kentucky University
Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green is a public university noted for its exceptional academic programs, world-renowned faculty, and applied learning opportunities. This applied research university is student-centered, making sure each student will achieve their goals and earn a degree with skills for success.
WKU offers over 170 choices for undergraduate areas of study through majors, associate degree programs, minors, certificate programs, pre-professional studies, and areas of concentration, plus more than 125 graduate programs. The school also has more than 80 online program options in a variety of academic areas, including the Bachelor’s in Health Sciences program.
- This interdisciplinary online bachelor’s degree is a perfect option for those who are interested in a health and human sciences career. The degree draws from disciplines such as psychology, public health, ethics, psychology, and health care administration.
- This online Bachelor in Health Science degree is ideal for those pursuing a broad-based degree in health science and other healthcare settings with the advantage of focusing on a particular area of Health and Human Services. This bachelor’s degree is also perfect for those who already hold an associate degree from an accredited college or university in a health-related field, and plan to continue their education.
This SACSCOC-approved university offers the Health Sciences undergraduate program with these concentrations
- Health Services Leadership and Management
- Health Sciences-Allied Health
- Preparatory Health Sciences
Some of the course coursework includes Introduction to Epidemiology, Community Health, Administration, and Healthcare Management.
Indiana University-Bloomington is the flagship and largest campus of Indiana University. This public research university is packed with endless opportunities, top-ranked academics, dynamic campus life, phenomenal arts and music events, international culture, and awe-inspiring faculty.
Whatever you wish to learn, explore, research, or do, you can find everything at the HLC-approved IU! Students can explore the full range of over 2,400 programs to find their best fit. For those who are looking for more flexibility and still earn the same level of quality expected from IU, the school also offers online degree programs for distance learners.
This Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences prepares learners for lucrative careers in the healthcare field.
- From general education courses to elective courses to core health science courses, this online health science degree helps students prepare for the best careers in the industry.
- This health sciences degree is extremely flexible but specialized enough to provide high value for students who are motivated for careers in the healthcare field, especially those aiming to ace their nursing licensure exam.
Core coursework in the program includes:
- Health and Rehabilitation Systems Across the World
- Medical Terminology
- Health Promotion, Health Behavior, and Disease Prevention
- Diversity Issues in Health and Rehabilitation Services
- Ethical Issues in Rehabilitation Professions
The program length of this degree is 120 credits and can be completed in four years. Students may also transfer an associate degree or up to 64 credit hours, provided that they come from a regionally accredited two-year college.
Jobs for Graduates of Online Bachelor’s in Health Studies
The Labor Statistics Bureau projects a 13% guarantee of actual job growth for all healthcare occupations between 2021 and 2023. The median annual salary for health care practitioners and technical occupations like dental hygienists, registered nurses, and surgeons was $75,040, while the median annual salary for health care support jobs like home health aids and medical transcriptionists was $29,880.
Jobs in the Health Sciences Field
Here are some of the most diverse job positions for students who completed Health Science degrees.
Nonclinical Health Science Jobs
- Health Educator
- Biomedical Equipment Technician
- Public Health Nurse
- Health Services Manager
- Health Services Administrator
Clinical Health Science Jobs
- Anesthesia Technician
- Registered Nurse
- Dental Hygienist
- Surgical Technician
- Respiratory Therapist
- Radiation Therapist
- Clinical Dietician
Frequently Asked Questions
Are there specific types of specializations in Health Science?
Different health sciences specializations incorporate knowledge from different other fields. In a healthcare specialization, students can solely on that focus. Five of the most popular options are:
- Nutrition Science
- Health Policy
- Applied Microbiology
- Health Care Administration
What are the common majors in a Health Science degree?
There are several majors in a health science curriculum, but the five most common ones include:
- Global Health
- Health Promotion
- Indigenous Health
- Public Health
- Human Structure and Function
Key Points to Ponder
- The bachelor’s degree in Health Sciences program is the most common education path for those who are pursuing a career in the field.
- A Health Science degree is for prospective students with an interest in working with people, particularly providing medical- and health-related services.
- Health Science job outcomes are not always clinical practice; many graduates end up doing management or administration work in relevant fields.