The field of Engineering comes in all shapes and forms. In addition, this versatile field will provide you with many lucrative job opportunities, no doubt. But, there may come a time when additional training may be required to get that promotion you deserve so that you can reach your full potential. Earning your online Master of Engineering degree is for you!
Distance learning options are a great way for working professionals to earn a graduate degree in Engineering. In fact, depending on your concentration in the field, you may be required to earn a Master’s degree for career advancement.
A particular skill set is often required for the design and implementation of certain systems and training obtained from a Master of Engineering degree program will allow you to meet your career goals. There’s no time like the present to check out these impressive schools that offer graduate degrees in Engineering.
Traditional Engineering School Options: The 20 Best Schools To Be An Engineering Major
Table of Contents
- FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
The Best Online Schools for Master of Engineering Degree Programs
- Cornell University
- Northwestern University
- Johns Hopkins University
- University of Southern California
- University of Virginia
- Tufts University
- University of Michigan
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- The University of Texas at Austin
- Penn State World Campus
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can you get an Engineering Master’s online?
Yes, as you maintain your career, you can find a Master’s program in Engineering through a distance-learning format. These are particularly convenient for those who require flexibility in their learning options. Often, on-campus attendance is not required.
Do online Master’s degrees look bad?
No, earning your Master’s degree in Engineering through an online program is a wise decision; however, you should be sure that the school has obtained proper accreditation. Employers are not discouraged by online degrees as long as they were earned through a reputable school with the right accreditation. And, most often, school diplomas will not specify that you earned your accolade through a distance learning program.
How will a Master’s degree in Engineering help my career?
Earning an online Master of Engineering degree will provide you with many job opportunities, as well as additional salary. As you learn advanced skills, you will qualify for the higher paying positions and enjoy job security. Earning your master’s will also allow you to concentrate in a particular specialization, if you so choose.
How many credits are in a Master of Engineering degree program?
Most Master’s programs in Engineering require approximately 30 credit hours. Completing a program typically takes about two years to finish if attending full-time. However, the completion time may also depend on your specialization… could take longer, or less time.
What is the highest paying position in the field of Engineering?
If you are going to invest your time, effort, energy and money in a master’s degree program, perhaps a good return on your investment would interest you. The higheset paying career in the field is Petroleum Engineering. The BLS states that the average salary is $137,330 per year, with the highest ten percent earning upwards of $208,000 annually. The job growth outlook is positive at three percent between 2019 and 2029, adding 1,100 jobs to the workforce.
Let us help you find the best Online Master of Engineering Degree Program that fits your requirements for career advancement, as well as convenience! Our researchers at PremiumSchools.org utilize these indicators of excellent academic standards to locate exceptional Master of Engineering degree programs designed just for you. These factors include:
- 100% web-based or hybrid classes for flexible or convenient attendance without compromising hands-on training,
- Rigorous yet engaging and innovative training in the field of Engineering coursework that takes into account the readiness of students in taking the next step to their engineering career,
- Outstanding faculty consisting of experts in the field of Engineering,
- Esteem among academic agencies, industry organizations, and journalistic resources,
- Stellar reviews and feedback from Online Master of Engineering alumni and students,
- Offers a wide range of scholarships, grants, and other financial support programs for eligible students.
To learn more about our selection process, see our Methodology page.
The Best Online Schools for Master of Engineering Degree Programs
Online Master of System Engineering
Cornell is a private university in Ithaca, NY, founded in 1865. Currently, USNR ranks 17th among National Universities. Cornell is known for its degrees in Law, Management, Medicine, and Engineering, among others. It offers a distance learning Master’s degree in Systems Engineering. That degree’s courses include:
- Systems Analysis Behavior and Optimization
- Systems Engineering Design Projects
- Principles of Project Leadership
- Model Based Systems Engineering
- Many electives
This program was designed for people in the workforce who want to earn a graduate degree without a lapse in employment. It is perfect for workers who want to improve their abilities in designing and implementing comprehensive systems. There is an Energy Systems specialization students can opt for as well.
Online MS in Executive Management for Design and Construction
Northwestern is a private university in Evanston, Illinois. It was founded in 1851. USNR ranks it 9th among National Universities. It’s known for degrees in Management, Education, Social Policy, Law, Medicine, Biological Sciences, and Engineering and Applied Sciences. Northwestern offers prospective graduate students an online Master of Science in Executive Management for Design and Construction (EMDC). Its courses include:
- Finance and Accounting for Executives
- Communication and Negotiation
- Construction Law and Risk Management
- Leadership and Organization
- Human Resource Management
- Advanced Business Strategy
- Along with eight electives
This degree is intended to be completed in two years of part-time study. If you’re an engineer who’s looking to become an executive in the fields of design and construction, this is a great option. Graduates can secure diverse posts in areas like construction, the military, architecture, engineering, and nonprofits or public agencies.
Johns Hopkins University
Master of Engineering Management Distance Learning Degree
Johns Hopkins University is a private research university based in Baltimore, Maryland. It was founded in 1876. It’s ranked 10th among National Universities by USNR. It’s known for its schools of Public Health, Education, Medicine, and Engineering. Johns Hopkins offers a host of online degrees that fall under their engineering umbrella. Some can be taken fully online. These include programs in:
- Applied Biomedical Engineering
- Applied and Computational Mathematics
- Applied Physics
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Data Science
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Engineering Management
- Environmental Engineering
- Environmental Engineering and Science
- Environmental Planning and Management
- Financial Mathematics
- Healthcare Systems Engineering
- Information Systems Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Space Systems Engineering
- Systems Engineering
- Technical Management
Most of these degrees are Master of Science degrees or post-master’s certificates. They often have both online and hybrid formats that combine online study and on-site study. They also offer focus areas for students to further specialize in. Johns Hopkins is one of the most respected universities in the world. It has access to elite professionals, technology, networking opportunities, and much more to help students reach maximum success both while they study and after they graduate.
University of Southern California
Online Master of Engineering Programs featuring Numerous Degree Specializations
USC is a private research university in Los Angeles, California. It was established in 1880, making it the oldest research university in California. USNR ranks it at 22nd among National Universities. It’s known for programs in Business, Education, Social Work, and Engineering. It offers graduate online degrees in the following areas of engineering:
- Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
- Astronautical Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical, Materials Science and Petroleum Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Systems Architecture and Engineering
- Additional Engineering, Science and Technology Programs
Each one of those categories offers students more specific majors, sometimes as many as eight distinct programs. There are dual degree programs that allow students to major in complementary areas (like Petroleum Engineering and Engineering Management for example). USC is known as an emissary for technical advances, research, and has been a leader in distance education for years.
University of Virginia
Online Master of Engineering
UVA is a public research school and the flagship school in the Virginia state system. It was founded in 1819. It’s headquartered in Charlottesville, Virginia. USNR ranks it 28th among National Universities. UVA is renowned for programs in Business, Education, Law, Medicine, and Engineering, and Applied Science. Graduate online engineering degrees you can take from UVA include:
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Systems Engineering
UVA has been delivering distance engineering degrees for 35 years. Sample courses include Construction Estimating, Environmental Microbiology, and Biological Waste Treatment, Transportation Safety Engineering, Mass Transfer, Intro to Control Systems, and many others. The courses in UVA’s online engineering degrees are delivered asynchronously in most cases. Students will have the same requirements and earn the same Master’s degrees as on-campus students.
Online MS in Engineering Management
Tufts is a private university in Medford, Massachusetts. It was founded in 1852. USNR ranks it 29th among National Universities. Tufts has stellar degree offerings in Arts and Sciences, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, and Engineering. It offers an Online Master of Science in Engineering Management. Sample courses include:
- Intro to Data Analytics
- Solving Complex Problems through Systems Thinking
- Program and Project Management
- Leadership: Driving and Managing Change
- Among others!
This degree is an MBA that was specifically designed to create new leaders in tech. It’s 100% online and designed for working professionals. Students may also opt for individual classes from this graduate sequence. There are electives in Applied Data Science and Product Management, among others. Most students will be able to complete this degree in two years, and it is extremely flexible in terms of the pace of students.
University of Michigan
MS in Engineering (MSE) or Master of Engineering (MEng) Online Degree
Michigan is a private university in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It was founded in 1817. USNR ranks it 25th among National Universities. The school is known for degrees in Business, Law, Medicine, and Engineering. It offers the following online degrees:
- Automotive Engineering, MEng
- Energy Systems Engineering, MEng
- Global Automotive and Manufacturing Engineering, MEng
- Manufacturing, MEng
- Systems Engineering & Design, MEng
All of these degrees typically require 30 credits. They can be completed in a year of full-time attendance, or in two to five years of part-time attendance. The school also offers some dual degree, joint degree, and certificate programs in engineering. Students will become well-versed in engineering fundamentals, theoretical thinking, practicums, and build towards Capstone projects demonstrating all they’ve learned.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Master of Engineering Distance Learning Degree with Nine Concentrations
Urbana-Champaign is a public research university in Champaign and Urbana, Illinois. It was established in 1867. USNR ranks it 48th among National Universities. It’s renowned for its programs in Information Sciences, Psychology, and Engineering. Urbana-Champaign offers nine distinct online engineering degrees, including:
- Master of Science in Aerospace Engineering (MSAE)
- Master of Engineering (MEng) Aerospace Systems Engineering
- Master of Engineering (MEng) in Bioengineering
- Master of Computer Science (MCS)
- Master of Science in Civil Engineering (MSCE)
- Master of Science in Environmental Engineering (MSEE)
- Master of Science in Industrial Engineering (MSIE)
- Master of Engineering (MEng) in Mechanical Engineering
- Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering (MSME)
Students can access more than 200 distinct courses, and earn 17 specialized certificates online as well. USNR has ranked its online offerings very highly, including giving its Online Master’s in Civil Engineering the #1 spot for 2020. These programs are designed for working professionals and offer an interactive, inclusive learning environment. Students can access lectures wherever they are and will work to provide innovative solutions in and out of their coursework.
The University of Texas at Austin
Master of Engineering Management or Master of Mechanical Engineering Online
UT Austin is a public institution founded in 1883. USNR ranks it 48th among National Universities. It’s known for its programs in Liberal Arts, Business, Nursing, and Engineering. It offers the following online programs:
- Engineering Management Master’s Degree
- Mechanical Engineering Master’s Degree
The Engineering Management degree has synchronous online participation options, and on-site one weekend a month requirements. The Mechanical Engineering program is 100% online. There’s also a Software Engineering Master’s degree that offers classes on-site one weekend per month. The Mechanical Engineering degree focuses on using engineering designs in innovative ways to solve problems.
Penn State World Campus
Online Master’s Degree in Engineering in Various Concentrations
Penn State is a public, research university with campuses throughout Pennsylvania. It was founded in 1855. It’s been nicknamed the “Public Ivy” because of its superb public education. USNR ranks it 57th among National Universities. It’s known for its programs in Education and Engineering. It offers online Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Graduate Certificates in Engineering, including:
- Bachelor’s of Science in Software Engineering
- Graduate Certificate in Additive Manufacturing and Design
- Graduate Certificate in Engineering Leadership and Innovation Management
- Graduate Certificate in Human Factors Engineering and Ergonomics
- Master’s in Software Engineering
- Master’s in Systems Engineering
- Master’s in Mechanical Engineering
- Master’s in Nuclear Engineering
- Master’s in Industrial Engineering
- Master’s in Engineering Management
- Master’s in Additive Manufacturing and Design
- Masters in Electrical Engineering
Penn State’s World Campus – as its online wing is known – is a leader in online degrees and online engineering programs. You’ll learn from the same faculty that teaches Penn State’s renowned in-person programs, and earn identical diplomas to your on-campus counterparts. There’s also an Engineering Leadership and Innovation Management minor you can opt for. These programs were designed to meet the needs of busy working adults.