Find Your Perfect School
Unlike a bachelor’s degree in nursing that has routes to specific professions, there are degree programs that open you to a much wider range of opportunities. If you want to earn a bachelor’s degree in public health, have you ever wondered what career awaits you after completing the program? Public health programs provide students with critical marketable skills like analyzing data, which may be very useful in different jobs.
A public health program focuses on protecting overall population health, including promoting health education and lifestyles, responding to a pandemic, or looking for ways to prevent injuries. Careers in Bachelor of Science in Public Health degree programs are particularly appealing to people with a passion for helping others, although it must be considered that public health professionals help whole populations, not individual patients.
Public health program majors follow many curricula that will prepare them for public health practice. A public health degree program draws from several disciplines, including mathematics, science, communications, and social and behavioral sciences. Usually, a public health student takes mostly science classes, including chemistry, microbiology, and environmental health and science. Social science courses might include social research or global health.
Public health majors also study statistical analysis, statistics, epidemiology, health education and communications, and health policy. This broad education allows students to choose from different public health career paths upon graduation.
If you wish to invest in a job deeply rooted in improving collective health while working within diverse communities, a bachelor of science degree in public health is a good start. This degree program teaches learners how to work across multiple disciplines to improve a population’s health outcomes. Students can combine their statistical abilities and knowledge of environmental science to identify how various environmental factors affect health. They can also use their communication skills to advocate environmental issues.
For students who prefer distance learning, studying online is a practical choice. Online Bachelor’s in Public Health degree programs offer unmatched flexibility and convenience, allowing students to go through their regular daily routines and not let geography hinder their education.
An online public health degree is also a suitable choice for non-traditional students. In most cases, there are plenty of opportunities for online students to join in hands-on learning activities, plus a capstone project or practicum that usually takes place in person. Therefore, even if the public health online program has no on-campus requirements, you will still have the chance to connect to community organizations in your local area in conjunction with your program plan.
This list of the ten best online schools for a Bachelor’s in Public Health degree program features colleges and universities offering the best distance-learning solutions to non-traditional college students. These schools use the latest technology for instruction and provide virtual learning platforms, allowing for interactive connections between students and instructors. These virtual platforms provide easy access to academic materials that are the most crucial components of distance learning success.
Some data highlight affordability and competitive rates– critical decision-making factors that potential students consider. Other factors for the selection of the list include:
- Offered in different learning formats, specifically online distance learning programs designed for busy working adults,
- Focuses on the improvement of a community’s health and lifestyle needs while also covering chronic and communicable disease prevention through statistics, research, and assessments,
- Hones each student’s critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills in the field of public health,
- Provides optimum networking opportunities for future community health workers upon graduation,
- Features easy credit transfers into a graduate degree program in Public Health,
- Handled and taught by professors and industry experts who have extensive and real-world experience in Public Health,
- Offers affordable tuition options on top of financial aid opportunities, grants, and scholarships.
- Each school holds the relevant regional accreditation to ensure quality education.
Visit our Methodology page!
10 Best Online Bachelor’s in Public Health
National University, located in San Diego, California, is a private university that offers multiple degree programs across campuses in California, a satellite campus in Nevada, and plenty of online programs. Most of its on-site classes are blended learning programs, concentrated on weeknights or four weeks, with occasional classes on Saturdays.
National University offers over 190 degree programs for students who want to start fresh or seek advancement. These career-focused programs are all designed to help online students make a solid impact in their chosen fields. Its online Bachelor’s in Public Health degree is designed for students to gain ample knowledge related to the interdependencies and interactions of behavioral health at the international, national, state, or local levels.
- This public health program will prepare entry-level public health professionals to start their careers in different health agencies: voluntary health agencies, governmental health agencies, medical care services, community-based/non-governmental agencies, education agencies, and business and industry.
- Once this program is completed, graduates are qualified for the Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) examination through the National Commission on Health Education Credentialing Inc.
- Some online courses include behavioral and non-behavioral variables crucial in mortality and morbidity. It also covers the assessment and progress of prevention projects and their outcomes, as well as basic principles in influencing behavior, environments, public policy, and community health needs.
- All the classes are delivered in four-week increments online and across 20 campus locations.
- National University is noted for its being veteran and military-friendly. Service members receive special rates on top of other perks. The school has financial aid and scholarship programs for qualified students.
This institution is accredited by the ASC WASC or Accrediting Commission for Schools, Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Arizona State University
Arizona State University is pioneering in next-level higher education. As one of the top universities in the US in terms of innovation, this top-tier public university has created many ways to guarantee that all its enrollees have access to high-quality education.
ASU offers over 350 high-quality degree programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Students who wish to earn faster can opt for an accelerated degree program or enroll in two degrees simultaneously. Some of its programs lead to students earning an undergraduate and a graduate degree in as quickly as five years.
Arizona State University also offers up to 300 online degrees through ASU Online, where students receive support from the school’s award-winning faculty and premier student services. Its online bachelor’s degree in public health is delivered 100% online and is designed to teach students to understand further the inner workings of health promotion to the human experience.
- Students in the program become health educators in the public health system with ample knowledge of how they will think about populations of people and not just the experience of individuals.
- Public health students will cover the five core aspects of public health: health services, epidemiology, biostatistics, health education, and behavioral sciences.
- Students in this online public health degree will be required to have an internship that provides them with practical skills and experience in health promotion and health services administration.
- This public health online program pairs very well with the health care policy and delivery certificate, health education specialist certificate, and hospice and palliative care certificate.
Arizona State University is Higher Learning Commission-approved.
University of South Florida
The University of South Florida is a relatively young public research university founded only in 1956. Situated in the diverse and vibrant Tampa Bay region, the school serves over 50,000 students pursuing undergraduate, graduate, professional, and specialist degrees. The school offers at least 200 majors, minors, and concentrations across 13 colleges.
USF offers the Bachelor of Science in Public Health online degree through its College of Public Health department. While this can be completed 100% online, students also have the option to go for the hybrid format that requires them to attend some of their classes on-site.
- This online bachelor’s degree allows students to take many related classes, including infectious diseases, epidemiology, pre-health, biostatistics, global health, infection control, health care environment, health systems theory, food safety, occupations and environmental health, nutrition education, and health coaching. They will also delve further into the field’s legal and ethical issues.
- Students are given access to multiple resources, including on-site and online campus library materials, counseling, student advising, a library specific to health sciences, and a handful of student organizations.
The University of South Florida is Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)-accredited.
American Public University System
The American Public University System is an online school based in Charles Town, West Virginia. This private, for-profit school system comprises the American Public University (APU) and the American Military University (AMU).
APUS is an open-enrollment university, employing 410 full-time and 1,800 part-time professors and faculty members. It offers 200 degrees and certificate programs across six academic colleges. Its bachelor’s in public health is delivered online through the American Public University’s School of Health Sciences.
- Those passionate about working in healthcare organizations to improve health and the quality of human life will find public health sciences courses a suitable option.
- This public and human health degree program is perfect for those with professional interests in community education, health, occupational health and safety, and health services.
- Students need 120 credit hours to complete the program. This public health bachelor’s costs $325 per credit hour. Financial aid such as scholarships is also available.
The APU System is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
University of Missouri-Columbia
The University of Missouri-Columbia is the very first state university in Thomas Jefferson’s Louisiana Purchase territory and the first public school of higher education west of the Mississippi River that provides all the advantages of two universities in one– it’s Missouri’s biggest public research university a major land-grant institution.
Considered a top-tier institution, Mizzou is noted for its excellence in research and teaching. It is also the flagship school of the four-campus University of Missouri System. MU Columbia offers over 280 degree programs, including over 75 programs in online formats, including its Bachelor of Science in Public Health degree.
- This online bachelor’s in public health degree program helps students advance their careers in the health care and prevention industry. It also prepares them to join the workforce in different core areas of the field, such as healthcare management, healthcare law, environmental health, human sexuality, biological and social sciences, health disparities, public health initiatives, population health, community health, and health equity, among others.
- This program has no on-campus requirements, making it easier for out-of-state students to finally realize their dreams of becoming healthcare professionals.
- This online Bachelor of Science in Public Health requires 120 credit hours. Students are allowed to transfer 60 credits from another university.
- Veterans and community college graduates are offered reduced tuition rates by 10%. Financial aid, scholarships, and grants are available.
- Most graduates have worked as health educators who promote health management, community health worker professionals, research specialists in public health organizations, and environmental health experts.
Walden University believes that a good education is an education for good. This university has been empowering 140,000 graduates for over 50 years now. It has been one of the pioneers of distance learning since the 1970s, as it aims to help adult students earn advanced degrees.
Walden University offers bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral, and certificate programs to help those who want to make a difference in the world turn their passion into rewarding careers. Because of its commitment to meet the needs of adult learners, this institution has been perfecting online education since 1995, helping generation after generation of students to make their dreams of earning a college degree through distance learning.
At Walden University, students enrolled in its online Bachelor of Science in Public Health can help create safer and healthier environments for everyone. With this program, students will develop the essential skills necessary for various work settings, especially in health equity and community wellness.
This BS in Public Health program offers a concentration in Health Promotion and Wellness to prepare students for the CHES or Certified Health Education Specialist exam, which is a competency-based test that measures a health educator’s possession, interpretation, and applicant of their knowledge of the Eight Areas of Responsibility for Health Education Specialists as prescribed by the U.S.-based practice analysis study.
The Public Health degree program offered by Walden emphasizes student readiness for the growing demand for skilled and caring public health professionals with the knowledge and compassion to address critical global health issues to improve the overall well-being of populations. These include environmental health, behavioral and cultural issues, health management, ethics, disease prevention, and global health.
This online degree program in Public Health offers an accelerated program that fast-tracks a student’s journey toward earning a master’s degree in Healthcare Administration or Health Education and Promotion. This program allows students to earn up to 20 master’s level credit hours while completing their undergraduate degree, saving them a lot of time and money.
Arizona Online – The University of Arizona
Arizona Online by the University of Arizona is one of the ten best schools that offer online bachelor’s programs nationwide. It is the number one public university in Arizona with the highest alumni earnings potential.
This university offers online classes to allow adult students to earn top-ranked degrees at their own pace. Online students are guaranteed to be taught by the same professors, earn the same degree, and enjoy the same student services and resources from the University of Arizona. On top of that, online students only pay per credit hour, even if they live out of state. They can also take advantage of various financial assistance to further reduce the total cost of tuition they need to pay. Because of this, an estimated 89% of students would highly recommend Arizona Online to their peers.
The University of Arizona’s Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health offers an online Bachelor of Science in Public Health, the only public health program accredited by Arizona’s Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH). This online degree program features comprehensive coursework and experiential education in public health. It also offers a curriculum that covers general knowledge of public health principles and practices.
Arizona Online’s Public Health degree program offers fieldwork that provides hands-on experience that combines public health practice and classroom learning, preparing students for various employment opportunities upon graduation. Public Health majors can choose an area of concentration to customize their degree experience: Global Health, Health Systems Theory and Practice, and Public Health Practice.
University of West Florida
The University of West Florida opened its doors in 1963 and has since evolved into an innovative leader in higher education in the state. It has also consistently ranked among the top military and veteran-friendly institutions. To this date, this institution has awarded over 100,000 degrees.
The University of West Florida has five academic colleges offering bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degree programs. UWF is committed to providing innovative and affordable educational experiences for all students. Its learner-focused education allows students from diverse backgrounds to meet their professional and personal goals.
UWF is Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)-accredited to award associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, specialist, and doctoral degrees. This institution has also consistently ranked among the top schools that offer online bachelor’s programs. Its Public Health degree program has ranked Number 27 among the best online public health degrees since 2018.
UWF’s online Bachelor of Science in Public Health degree program features a curriculum based on foundational public health competencies to prepare students to advance in their careers. This program provides learners with a unique skill set to prepare them to respond to modern public health problems using innovative and practical solutions.
This online degree in Public Health will develop students’ skills in assessing public health needs and analyzing health equity and disparities across different populations. Through this program, undergraduates will also gain the competencies for employment at the local, state, national, and global levels.
UWF’s BS in Public Health program follows the guidelines set by the Council on Education in Public Health (CEPH). This ensures that Public Health majors will be taught how public health practices function within the country’s legal system, the importance of effective occupational health management and safety initiatives, and knowledge in public health to improve community health.
Southern New Hampshire University
Home to over 3,000 on-campus students and 170,000 online learners., Southern New Hampshire University offers at least 200 programs, including certificates, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees in business, education, social sciences, liberal arts, and STEM. It has been one of the fastest-growing universities in the nation since 1932.
SNHU has been considered the most innovative university in the north and one of the best regional universities in 2020. It earned the 21st Century Distance Learning Award for Excellence in Online Technology given by the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA) in 2017. It is also known for demonstrating excellent academic innovation.
SNHU offers a web-based Bachelor of Science in Public Health degree, providing learners with a strong foundational knowledge of biological and social sciences. This program focuses on evidence-based approaches to program assessment, evaluation, and planning. It also features core courses that provide learners.
Public Health students at SNHU get to explore various strategies for improving the health of various populations, prolonging life, and preventing diseases. They will also learn how to identify health disparities and promote social justice. They will also gain a competitive edge and become successful public health professionals who can meet modern challenges.
Those who wish to continue their studies after graduating with a Bachelor’s in Public Health degree may pursue an online Master of Public Health degree, wherein they can choose a general track and a global health concentration.
SNHU’s BS in Public Health has been New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)-accredited since 1973. It is also aligned with the competencies of the Association of Schools of Public Health (ASPH).
Old Dominion University
Old Dominion University offers over 120 online academic offerings, the highest among all the state schools in Virginia. This institution has a satisfaction rate of 97%, and 86% of its students would recommend ODU to others.
With Old Dominion University’s strong partnerships, expert advising and coaching, and well-accomplished faculty, students are assured of receiving excellent quality education and achieving their professional goals, whether they start at a community college partner, transfer to its Norfolk campus, or attend online classes. ODU has partnered with numerous colleges across the US and other countries. It is also committed to providing employee development and education opportunities by offering courses and programs aligned with the needs of businesses around the globe.
ODU offers the online Bachelor of Science in Public Health through its College of Health Sciences and School of Community and Environmental Health. It prepares students for entry-level or advanced positions in public health and healthcare settings, including healthcare managers, population-based researchers, healthcare specialists, substance abuse counselors, and more. Through this program, learners can research, assess, and convey public health information to a wide range of audiences, evaluate public health groups’ capacity, needs, and resources, and improve public health practices within communities.
Skills Public Health Majors Utilize at Work
A public health professional uses multiple skills at work, depending on their particular roles. But as a rule of thumb, a certified health education specialist must have collaboration, analytical, and scientific skills.
Public Health professionals are expected to work with various departments and teams to ensure the quality of public health services. After all, they will plan, develop, and implement programs for the good of diverse populations. Public health specialists must have collaboration skills to ensure success since they will be working with managers, social workers, and healthcare experts.
Public health experts need to have analytical skills to be able to fulfill their responsibilities. They must be able to promptly analyze, evaluate, and provide the best solutions for every situation. This is because public health professionals need to manage large amounts of data that require analytical thinking for them to be able to understand it and communicate it to all stakeholders.
To be good leaders, public health experts must be able to persuade others to come up with a particular course of action. They must convince all stakeholders to decide on the best solution to improve an organization’s or community’s well-being. Aside from that, leadership is also about adapting to the changing demands and ensuring the continuous improvement of public health in any setting.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a growing demand for public health professionals?
The US Labor Statistics Bureau says the demand for healthcare occupations will rise by 13% from 2021 to 2031. This will open about 2 million new jobs until the end of the decade. This means that graduates with Public Health degrees have plenty of work opportunities after completing the program.
What are the most in-demand jobs for graduates with a Bachelor’s degree in Public Health?
The following are some of the most prominent occupations for those with a Bachelor’s in Public Health degree:
- Database Administrators – $105,160
- Technical Medical Writers – $80,472
- Public Health Journalists – $53,456
- Program Coordinators – $46,608
- Outreach Specialists – $45,164
- Systems Analysts – $81,948
- Health Teachers – $59,832
- Nurse Educators – $95,451
- Emergency Response Specialists – $89,132
- Public Health Engineers – $77,261
- Environmental Health Technicians – $46,452
- Health and Wellness Managers – $104,400
- Diseases Ecologists – $69,165
- Public Health Physicians – $152,399
- Public Health Researchers – $75,006
Who should pursue a Bachelor’s in Public Health degree?
Those passionate about and find it rewarding to help improve other people’s lives would greatly benefit from a Bachelor’s in Public Health degree. For one, they can work in clinics, child healthcare facilities, hospitals, and health departments to reach enhanced care and improved health outcomes while ensuring that costs are minimal. This means that a career in public health will provide graduates with the satisfaction of being in a field that aligns with their personal interests and professional goals.
Key Points to Ponder
- An online Bachelor’s in Public Health is designed for those passionate about serving others and improving community welfare.
- An online degree program in Public Health’s curriculum includes courses such as Foundations of Public Health Theories of Health Behavior, Context of Healthcare Delivery, and Public and Global Health.
- A Public Health degree will prepare students for active roles in guiding local international programs and public policies that improve the overall health of communities in developing nations.