Find Your Perfect School
With today’s growing attitude toward entrepreneurship and continuous improvement of technology, small businesses have a massive chance to thrive. However, small business management is far from managing a big corporation with a handful of branches, which explains why both fields call for separate skill sets.
Additional Information to Consider: Best Schools with Online Bachelor’s in E-Business
A small business management degree equips students with the relevant skills and knowledge needed to start and successfully run their own business. Those who are passionate about getting hands-on personnel with small businesses can take advantage of a small business management program since this will precisely fit their specific goals more than a conventional business degree.
By definition, a small business keeps less than 500 employees, although this will generally depend on the industry type. Small businesses make up a huge part of the US economy, and they contribute to roughly 50% of the jobs in the nation, according to a survey by the Census Bureau.
Some common examples of small businesses include freelancing, consultancies, food trucks, online stores, tech startups, photography services, human resource management, and many more.
However, small businesses are very diverse, with still more room to execute one’s visions. With an online business management degree in small business management, one will understand the primary areas of business and pay close attention to how small businesses generally work.
If you are looking for the best online bachelor’s degree programs in Business Management with a concentration in Small Business Management, then this list will help you decide.
Each of our recommended Small Business undergraduate programs were evaluated based on these criteria:
- Offered as a web-based program or in a hybrid format by public or private and accredited institutions with very high academic standards,
- Facilitated through a Learning Management System that allows for easy access to the virtual classes and coursework,
- Features the core courses of Small Business Management, enabling students to learn the basics of small business operations,
- Offers programs for reduced tuition costs, including scholarships and financial aid,
- Provides a range of student resources and offers student support services,
- Delivered by a faculty of small business experts,
- Duly accredited by national or regional accrediting agencies, including the ACBSP-Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs and AACSB-Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
Explore our online college and degree program ranking process. Visit our Methodology page.
Best Online Bachelor’s in Small Business Management
Location: Aurora, Illinois,
Aurora University is a private university that also has two other campuses: the Woodstock Center in downtown Woodstock, Illinois, and the George Williams College campus in Williams Bay, Wisconsin.
It also offers programs online. Aurora University offers about 50 majors and minors, a variety of master’s degree programs, graduate certificate rates in social work and education, and online doctoral degrees in social work and education.
Aurora University offers an online Business Management degree designed to teach students strategic planning and leadership skills.
- This online business management program gives learners a broad understanding of the basic principles of marketing, business skills, Human Resources, operations management, and more.
- Students will gain more specialized knowledge and expertise in management so they can create data-driven decisions to improve business outcomes.
- Classes in this online business degree are taught and handled by expert faculty who share their respective industry knowledge with the online class.
- This business management degree online utilizes open educational resources (OER) instead of traditional textbooks.
- Students are provided access to digital and openly licensed content for free.
This online bachelor’s in business management program combines tough academics with real-world experience so students are prepared for professional success.
Aurora University is approved by the HLC or Higher Learning Commission.
University of Maine
Location: Orono, Maine
The University of Maine is a public research university that was originally established as a land-grant college of Maine. The school is the flagship university of the University of Maine system, and it offers a world-class education in more than 100 majors, minors, and academic programs.
The University of Maine offers a BS in Business Administration in Management program delivered 100% online. Coursework of this online bachelor’s program includes:
- Principles of Financial Accounting
- Business Finance
- Production and Operations Management
- The Legal Environment of Business
Students in this business administration degree will learn to navigate the complexities of international, corporate, nonprofit, or small business management. They will also learn how to master their administrative and organizational behavior, such as organizational change, leadership, production system analysis, strategic analysis, and Human Resources.
The Maine Business School is accredited by AACSB. This accreditation is the benchmark of excellence in business education and has only been earned by no more than 5% of the world’s business schools.
The University of Maine gained the approval of the NECHE-New England Commission of Higher Education.
The University of Charleston
Location: Charleston, West Virginia
The University of Charleston located in Charleston, West Virginia, is a private university that also runs a campus in Beckley, West Virginia (UC-Beckley). The school has more than forty undergraduate and graduate degree programs offered on-campus or online.
The University of Charleston offers a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Major in Management that can be earned on campus or online.
- This business administration program is designed to provide students with a solid foundation in management principles.
- This online degree collaborates professional preparation experiences and certifications through general education courses, major courses, and core business courses.
- Professional certification options are available for Google Analytics, Microsoft Office, and internships within the major.
- Online students are provided with an extensive understanding of the processes, practices, and principles of people and organizations.
- Areas of emphasis for this online program for future business professionals include small business management, human resource management, team development, and leadership.
For students to focus on their career goals, they are allowed to minor in other fields other than business, including political science or communications.
The University of Charleston is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
University of Arkansas-Little Rock
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
The University of Arkansas-Little Rock was first established as Little Rock Junior College and later named Little Rock University, a private four-year institution in 1957. Just 12 years later, the school merged with the University of Arkansas System and returned to public status.
This public research university has more than 100 undergraduate degrees and 60 graduate degrees, including master’s degrees, doctorates, and graduate certificates, through traditional and online classes.
The University of Arkansas-Little Rock offers a Bachelor’s in Business Administration in Management program delivered in an online format.
- This online program uses a traditional academic calendar, with semesters running for 17 weeks.
- Core courses in this program include Principles of Accounting I and II, Data Analysis and Visualization, Legal Environment of Business, and many more.
- The business administration in management program provides students with a solid footing in business essentials. This will also help them develop their communication skills and management skills, and improve their knowledge of different business practices, business finance, market research, customer relations, and the business world as a whole.
- This 120-hour online bachelor program has an emphasis on management and will prepare learners for professional leadership careers in corporations, small businesses, and government.
The University of Arkansas-Little Rock is AACSB-accredited. It is also HLC-approved.
Southern New Hampshire University
Location: Manchester, New Hampshire
Southern New Hampshire University is a private institution known for having the lowest online tuition rates in the US. At just $320 and $627 per credit for undergraduate and graduate degrees, respectively, students can just choose any of the school’s more than 150 accredited bachelor’s degree programs to fit their future goals.
Southern New Hampshire University offers a Bachelor’s in Business Administration program with a concentration in entrepreneurship delivered entirely online.
- This online business degree will teach students how to make and manage their small businesses.
- No application fee or ACT/SAT scores are required, and transfer credits are up to 90.
- This bachelor’s in business administration program is accredited by ACBSP and taught by industry experts.
- Courses are strongly focused on small business management. Students are provided with hands-on experiential learning opportunities. They will complete the program with the analytical skills, knowledge, and confidence to help turn their marketing ideas into thriving business ventures.
- This online program was developed with the help of business professionals to give real-world and relevant scenarios to future marketing managers, academic advisors, management analysts, and other relevant financial occupations.
- Through this online education, students will delve deeper into all the aspects of successfully running a business- from market research to the opening day, day-to-day operations, and management principles.
Students at Southern New Hampshire University are given support from day 1 until the completion of their program and beyond. And with 24/7 access to their online program, and readily available learning resources, students have everything in place to help them reach their goals.
SNHU is accredited by NECHE.
New Mexico State University
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
New Mexico State University is a public university and the oldest public higher education institution in the state. This land-grant research institution has a wide variety of program options across multiple disciplines, including education, agriculture, education, and the sciences. There are 96 baccalaureate programs, 58 master’s degree programs, 28 doctoral programs, and over 4,400 courses across 54 academic departments.
True to its land-grant mission, New Mexico University also offers online programs through the Cooperative Extension Service, including the Bachelor’s in Business Administration in General Business.
- Like most online business degrees, this program will prepare students for a solid career path through innovation, discovery, and inspiring creative achievement.
- This online education provides students with fundamental knowledge of the key areas of business. They will discover the importance of theoretical frameworks for the analysis of group, interpersonal, individual, and organization-level behaviors so they can improve their organizational behavior, performance, and efficiency.
- Students enrolled in the 100% online bachelor’s in general business can choose any of the four concentrations: Entrepreneurship, Human Resources Management, Project and Supply Chain Management, and Small Business Management and Entrepreneurship.
- This online business management degree is AACSB-accredited.
- NMSU offers financial aid for students who need financial help. Other forms of financial assistance include grants, loans, and scholarship opportunities.
NMSU offers financial aid for students who need financial help. Other forms of financial assistance include grants, loans, and scholarship opportunities.
NMSU is HLC-accredited.
Lorain County Community College
Location: Elyria, Ohio
Lorain County Community College is among the 10% most affordable schools in the country, according to the US Department of Education’s College Affordability and Transparency Center. The school offers numerous online programs and traditional courses for associate, bachelor’s, and master’s degree programs, as well as programs that allow students to easily transfer to other universities and colleges.
One of LCCC’s online programs is the Bachelor of Science in Commerce, Small Business Management.
- Those who dreamed of one day managing a business can start by enrolling in business programs. This small business management commerce degree allows students to pursue an intensive examination of how small businesses.
- Students will learn the core business courses in traditional business areas like management, marketing, and accounting. They will also learn something about business law, Human Resources, project management, and managerial accounting.
- This online degree is designed for students straight out of high school, as well as transfer students and adult learners, military veterans, and associate degree holders in business and other majors.
This online bachelor’s degree is transfer-friendly and can accommodate non-traditional and traditional students. This covers business skills like accounting and marketing. For students who need help planning their studies, there is an academic advisor available in school.
Lorain County Community College is HLC-approved.
Location: Bangor, Maine
Husson University is a private university that offers more than 110 programs in communications, counseling, business, education, criminal justice, health, and pharmacy in undergraduate, graduate, master’s, and doctoral’s programs. It also offers several online programs.
Husson University offers a BS in Business Administration offered online. This program provides students with experiential learning and personalized support and has multiple start dates each year.
- This bachelor’s in business administration program requires 122 credits to complete. Students will take general education courses and core courses like financial accounting, operations management, financial management, international business, healthcare management, corporate finance, business law, and a lot more– all designed to provide them with real-world experience dealing with workplace challenges and tasks.
- The program takes four years to complete. Students can also transfer credits from another accredited school.
- This bachelor’s in business administration degree is IACBE-International Accreditation Council for Business Education-accredited.
Husson University is NECHE-approved.
Location: Naperville, Illinois
DeVry University is a private for-profit university and is a predominantly online school with campuses in the US. The school offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs online and onsite within its six areas of study: Business, Healthcare, Accounting, Liberal Arts, Technology, and Media Arts and Technology.
DeVry University offers an online Small Business Management and Entrepreneurship specialization as part of the school’s Bachelor’s in Management, Technical Management, or Business Administration.
- This online small business management degree features a series of business core courses to help students build interdisciplinary skills for workplace success.
- The courses in this online bachelor’s small business management program introduce students to primary disciplines supporting business careers. They also cover concepts related to basic business practices like marketing, accounting, management, and the analytic skills that inform business decision-making.
- This business management degree online includes courses that introduce students to contemporary workplace applications. All of the courses boost the learning experience of each student through activities that will help them use their course material while shaping career choices and future education.
- This concentration allows students to experience immersive coursework covering entrepreneurship, customer relations, e-commerce, customer relations, financial management, business and financial occupations, busies law, and product development.
The online business management degree is accredited by ACBSP. Students can customize their curriculum too by choosing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I) course alternatives for their Humanities and Social Science courses.
This option highlights relevant topics to help students more empowered and to promote workplace inclusivity.
DeVry University is HLC-approved.
Location: Campbellsville, Kentucky
Founded as Russell Creek University, Campbellsville University is a private Christian university. It offers more than 80 programs at the associate’s, bachelor’s, and master’s degree levels. The school also has online programs where students can experience an education customized to help them secure successful careers.
Campbellsville University offers a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration in an online format.
- Students in this online program will explore the latest trends and important concepts that drive today’s fast-paced economy.
- This online business degree prepares students with the important knowledge and necessary skills to run their own business ventures or to become business leaders in tomorrow’s global economy.
- This bachelor’s degree is handled by industry experts who incorporate their real-world experience into the curriculum.
- Through this bachelor’s in business administration program, students will gain ample knowledge of business law and the necessary managerial skills so they are prepared to assume leadership roles in various business organizations.
- Emphases offered in this online program include human resource management, management, healthcare management, marketing, and many more.
This business administration degree is fully accredited by the International Accreditation Council for Business Education. Moreover, Campbellsville University holds accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission.
Florida Institute of Technology
Location: Melbourne, Florida
Officially named Florida Institute of Technology, Florida Tech or FIT is composed of four academic colleges: Psychology and Liberal Arts, Aeronautics, Engineering and Science, and Business where its more than 200 undergraduate and graduate degree programs and certificate programs are scattered.
Florida Tech offers several online bachelor’s degree programs, including its BA in Business Administration/Management.
- This online business administration and management degree focuses on the importance of properly managing a business in a global economy.
- Students will have an understanding of the ethical implications of human resources and managerial decisions.
- This bachelor’s degree program is structured from a broad-based liberal arts education and career-specific management and business courses.
- In this online bachelor’s, students are presented with a thorough overview of the facets of management, from staffing and strategies to planning and leading. It also allows students to explore efficient strategies for decision-making, communication, and managing people and change.
- This online bachelor’s degree program is accredited by IACBE.
Florida Institute of Technology is SACSCOC-accredited.
Bryant and Stratton College
Locations: New York, Ohio, Virginia, and Wisconsin
Bryant and Stratton College is a private college that offers a personalized experience and career education that leads to high-demand professions so students are prepared and ready for their future life pursuits and careers.
Aside from focusing on their career skills, Bryant and Stratton College is also keen on providing their students with life skills– the crucial intangibles like interpersonal skills, critical thinking, teamwork, time management, and problem-solving skills. Thus, they offer Career LifePrep, an experience that combines both life and career skills.
Aside from the traditional on-campus education, Bryant and Stratton College also has online programs, including its BBA in General Management degree delivered online.
- Thru this online bachelor’s program, students will develop the foundation they need to pursue lucrative career opportunities in business management.
- With this online bachelor’s in business administration, students will gain the vital skills usually used in managerial and staff positions throughout the business field, in nonprofit organizations, and even in government agencies.
- This online degree focuses on strategy and planning, problem-solving, communication and marketing, technology, and interpersonal relations.
Bryant and Stratton College is putting special emphasis on gearing students for the challenges of management positions. This is done through active learning techniques, presentations, team projects, and practical applications of research methods.
Bryant and Stratton College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Colorado Christian University
Location: Lakewood, Colorado
Colorado Christian University is a private Christian institution that provides Christ-centered higher education in transforming students to impact the world with truth and grace. CCU has more than 200 academic programs in a variety of disciplines for traditional on-campus and online students.
One of its online undergraduate programs is the Bachelor’s in Business – Management concentration:
- CCU uses an integrated curriculum that integrates business fundamentals and strong values and ethical leadership.
- This Business Administration program is ideal for adult students seeking to advance their careers in business.
- The bachelor’s in business program has two optional emphases: International Business and Entrepreneurship.
- This bachelor’s degree is 120 credit hours (36 in major core). Courses are completed in five-week blocks. Students can have the chance to accelerate their degree thru CCU’s generous transfer credits policy.
Colorado Christian University is HLC-accredited.
Location: Washington, DC.
Strayer University is a private for-profit institution that was originally called Strayer’s Business College until it was granted its university status in 1998. In 2018, it was rebranded after the merger with Capella University. Today, it enrolls more than 50,000 students through its online programs and 64 other campuses scattered throughout 15 US states.
The school offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in business administration, accounting, criminal justice, information technology, health services administration, and public administration.
Strayer University offers a Bachelor’s in Business Administration: Entrepreneurship program delivered 100% online.
- This online bachelor’s program is ideal for those who have always dreamed of running a small business but are unsure where to start. Thru this concentration, students will gain the needed background and confidence they can use to build their own businesses.
- Thru this online bachelor’s in business program, students will learn the basics of entrepreneurship. They will then use their decision-making and critical thinking skills in real-life scenarios to help them get close to finally making their venture a reality.
- This business management program is accredited by ACBSP.
Strayer University is an accredited member of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Location: The main campus is in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Keiser University is a private university with a flagship residential campus found in West Palm Beach, Florida. With more than 50 degree programs to choose from, students can easily find the right career path that is perfect for them in both online and traditional delivery formats.
Keiser University offers its online Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration- Accelerated Track to MBA. This online business major teaches students the ins and outs of business, leadership, and management.
- This is a fast-track option that gears students with the skills and knowledge that the modern business world demands. This will seamlessly transition students from their undergraduate degrees to their graduate degree studies.
- Instead of spending more than six years in two separate programs, this accelerated track allows students to complete their undergraduate and graduate degrees in Business Administration in just 59 months. This will help qualified students save money and time while increasing their lifetime earning potential.
- This dual degree program, once completed, will give students a more thorough understanding of every functional area of business– from marketing to management to human resources and more.
- Students will learn how to solve problems in unpredictable situations using their managerial leadership skills, knowledge of human resources management, international business concepts, and marketing strategies.
- This business degree will also teach students how to effectively communicate through writing.
Kaiser University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Check this out: Best Schools with Online Bachelor’s in Business Administration
Why Study Business Management
Over the years, the world of business has significantly changed. Globalization is the new normal. Whether you want to run a small business or enter the world of finance, fashion, or the business landscape, below are the most compelling reasons why you should earn a degree program in business and how this can help open doors of possibilities for you.
You will develop critical communication skills.
Drafting a compelling report or presenting a convincing pitch requires you to have excellent communication skills. During your business management degree, you will work with students from across the globe, working on a range of projects. Your experiences and views are different and at some point, may even clash.
To have good grades, you need to learn how to analyze cases, respond diplomatically to conflicting standpoints, and master the art of getting your point across.
You get to know your customers or audience.
Politicians run political campaigns to gain support, teachers impart their knowledge to inspire students, and job applicants sell their skills to get the position. It is never easy to make your application or idea stand out.
But with a business management degree, you get to understand and know your audience more. From there, it becomes easier to appeal creatively to them. This is particularly helpful, especially when you buy on from your investors, colleagues, and peers.
You learn about accounting and budgeting.
Even some of the best and greatest businesses fail to succeed for lack of financial management. Never let financial concepts intimidate you from putting up your business venture.
Management analysts say that to have a successful career in business; one should study the basics of accounting. That way, you become more equipped and confident to drive your business venture forward.
You unlock your entrepreneurial spirit.
More and more students enroll in business management programs to learn how to properly launch their dream small business. Management degree programs will help students to become their bosses someday.
However, becoming a successful entrepreneur demands innovation, creativity, and a strong execution strategy. When you go to the right business management school, you will develop and master your entrepreneurial and management skills, allowing you to test and launch your business ideas.
You become adept in investment and finance.
Whether you are planning to buy a house or a new car or even enroll in a top-notch university, it’s easy to look for financial loans as the best option. But how do you tell when it is safe to borrow? Conversely, you may come to a point when you plan to invest in real estate, bonds, or stocks. Do you know what to invest or what factors to consider?
A bachelor’s in business management degree will give you a relevant understanding of basic economic principles. This will also make you understand how to assess the financial health of a firm or how markets are affected by world events.
Top Careers in a Business Management Degree
Client Services Manager
These professionals are the ones responsible for creating and executing customer service procedures. They also train staff to follow set guidelines, keep in contact with their present clients and discuss with them about projects and campaigns they might be interested in.
Client service managers are also trained to help customers with their inquiries and resolve common issues as needed.
Sales representatives contact existing or new customers and discuss with them services or products they might be interested in. These professionals negotiate contracts and keep track of their clients to make sure that they are satisfied with the services.
These professionals also scout for potential clients. Sometimes, they act as customer sales representatives and help customers with issues and questions about products. Sales representatives can work with businesses, individuals, or other organizations.
Project managers organize, create, oversee, and coordinate business projects. They see to it that all projects are completed on time and according to the company’s goals and budget. They supervise meetings, troubleshoot and measure milestones and goals too.
Managers organize business procedures, operations, and overall maintenance. They approve supply requests and prepare company payroll too. Usually, office managers work with an administrative team to which they manage tasks or assign duties.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does the Small Business Management major consist of?
Depending on the school, the core courses in a small business management degree may vary. But students often take classes the same as the following:
- Financial Accounting
- Principles of Management
- Human Resources Management
- Business Finance
- Project Management
- Principles of Marketing
- Business Law
- Business Information Systems
Is a Business degree required to start a business?
A bachelor’s degree in business is necessary to start a business. In fact, you don’t need any special educational credentials to put up a business. However, business owners can take advantage of a business degree. For one, this will teach you about more crucial and technical topics like project management, strategic planning, accounting, and more.
A business degree also teaches you how to set up campaigns or lead projects in a less risky environment. Any academic advisor will also attest to the fact that a business degree allows you to learn inside the classroom the best business practices instead of learning them by trial and error with your own finances and business.
Plus, getting a business program also expands your network and will open your doors to meeting new peers and mentors in the business sector.
Key Points to Ponder
- Earning a degree in Small Business Management will introduce you to the key areas of business operations.
- As a small business owner, gain a solid foundation in different areas of business, including marketing, finance, customer relations, operations, and human resources.
- By getting a degree in Management, it becomes easier for you to be comfortable with business finance and accounting while simultaneously leading your people and developing strategic visions for your venture.
- Many graduates in Business Management either become self-employed professionals running their small businesses or successful entrepreneurs.
Before you go, see: The Best Universities for In-Person (Traditional Delivery) Business Degrees