Find Your Perfect School
Reviewed by Premium Schools Chief Editor, Malcolm Peralty
Many people strive to enter the healthcare field but are unsure as to which path to take after high school. So, to help with the often timely and difficult selection process, we have ranked the most rewarding career paths within the healthcare field that can be pursued after completing a short-term healthcare training certification program.
According to our chief editor, Malcolm Peralty, “Dive into healthcare swiftly with these short-term training and certification programs, paving your way towards a fulfilling and impactful career in a sector always in demand.”
These healthcare certificate programs that pay well are all available through accredited and respected institutions of higher learning. In addition to ranking, we have chosen the best school that offers each program in an online format.
The programs themselves are ranked based on the starting median salary that individuals in that field make plus the flexibility and quality of the program that they offer to distance learning students.
Due to our ranking criteria, students will not only be able to pick a shorter-term healthcare training certification program that suits their personal and career goals, but they will be able to obtain their training from a reputable, high-quality school.
Quick audio summary:
15 Top Short-Term Healthcare Training Certificate Programs
1. Clinical Healthcare Research Management Certificate
A Clinical Healthcare Research Management Certificate will allow people, upon successful completion of the certification program, to pursue a healthcare career in clinical research in a management capacity.
The job duties of a Clinical Research Associate include the following:
- ensuring proper research protocol is supported by all members of the research team,
- monitoring data,
- maintaining sound finances for the research program,
- and implementing training protocols and programs to ensure all new team members can properly perform their job duties.
This career path is an excellent choice for those who have prior management and healthcare experience.
The Importance of Clinical Research
Clinical research is crucial since it is the field that determines the effectiveness and safety of treatment regimens and medications intended for humans. Clinical trials are usually used for the treatment, prevention, analysis, or relief of signs and symptoms of a disease.
But why is it important? Clinical research tests whether a specific treatment is safe and how these treatments should be administered to humans. It also plays a critical role in the growth of products in combatting diseases, treating degenerative and chronic diseases, and improving overall health.
What are its benefits?
- Allows you to attain the techniques and skills to efficiently collaborate with co-workers in basic disciplines in the successful conduct of clinical trials.
- It helps you develop mastery in the study design of translational and clinical science applications.
- It gives you a better knowledge of controlling and performing clinical research.
- It allows you to learn more about the different regulatory authorities and their parameters in approving the marketing of healthcare products.
One of the very first drugs ever made, Aspirin, which was originally a proper noun and later changed to a common noun, was used by the Egyptians and Sumerians in 3000 BC. In 1899, Aspirin was termed as such by Bayer. This drug is being researched heavily to this day with an estimated 1,000 clinical trials conducted every year,
2. Surgical Technology Certificate
With a Surgical Technology Certificate, individuals will be qualified to pursue a career as a Surgical Technician. Most programs are accredited by CAAHEP (the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs).
A Surgical Technologist’s job duties include assisting surgeons and other types of medical professionals in hospital operating rooms and similar settings. They primarily achieve this by preparing patients, operating rooms, and operating equipment for pending surgical procedures.
They also assist during those procedures as part of a team of operating room professionals, performing tasks such as ensuring the surgeons have the equipment needed at hand. Individuals who work well under pressure and in a fast-paced environment are ideal candidates for this career path.
Why You Should Get a Surgical Tech Certificate
- This field is projected to grow. The Bureau of Labor Statistics said that in the coming years, the surgical technology field is expected to grow by 5%. They further added that in 2022, the surgical tech’s average income was $56,350 ($27.09 per hour). Depending on the professional’s experience and location, this figure could increase, especially now that the baby boomer generation is growing. This trend points to a likely increase in the demand for surgical tech services.
- Surgical Techs save lives. Surgical techs play crucial roles in a surgical team, ensuring that the tools are sterile and that the room has very clean surfaces. They also aid surgeons in cleaning a patient’s incision site and keeping close track of all the tools in the operating room.
- Many work options. Today, the field of surgical tech has new specialized fields and developments, thanks to the advent of technology. From orthopedics to neurosurgery and even open-heart surgery, your options are plenty.
Average Time for Program Completion: 10 to 14 Months
Average Annual Salary: $56,350 ($27.09 per hour)
Top School Offering the Program Online: Baptist Health System School of Health Professions
3. Healthcare Management Certificate
A Healthcare Management Certificate will allow an individual to pursue a career in Healthcare Management.
The job duties of a Healthcare Manager include planning and coordinating healthcare services in hospitals and clinics, overseeing specific departments or entire healthcare facilities, administrative tasks and ensuring patients receive prompt and adequate care and treatment.
Healthcare Managers are hired by both public and private healthcare-providing facilities. Individuals who have a strong sense of ethics, dedication, and determination and who have prior customer service and management experience are often ideal candidates for this career path.
When you know the most valuable healthcare management certifications, you can easily select the most suitable one for your specific situation. It doesn’t matter your exact healthcare management skillset, but having the right certification will pave your way towards a successful career.
Getting this certification is a positive career move, but it entails hard work and discipline. There are so many healthcare management certifications today, but here are the top 7.
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Risk Management (CPHRM) is the most valuable healthcare certification related to risk management and is issued by the American Hospital Association.
- Certified Medical Manager (CMM) – The Professional Association of Health Care Office Management offers this for a medical manager designation.
- Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC)- Issued by the Health Care Compliance Association’s Compliance Certification Board, this acts as valid proof that the health professional is up to date with the most recent healthcare compliance regulations and standards.
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Information and Management Systems (CPHIMS)- This certification proves that you are qualified in all the key areas of healthcare information and management systems. This is issued by the Healthcare Information and Management Society.
- Fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE)- This is issued by the American College of Healthcare Executives and is considered one of the most highly valued certifications for healthcare administrators.
- Certified Healthcare Financial Professional (CFHP). This certification is for those working in a healthcare setting with roles requiring knowledge of finance in a healthcare-related field. The Healthcare Financial Management Association issues this.
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Quality (CPHQ). This is considered the most appropriate certification for healthcare quality professionals and is issued by the National Association for Healthcare Quality.
Average Time for Program Completion: 6 months on average
Median Salary for Medical and Health Services Managers: $104,830 per year ($50.40 per hour)
Top School Offering the Program Online: Liberty University
4. Medical Records Coder Certificate
A Medical Records Coder Certificate will enable an individual to pursue a healthcare career as a Medical Billing and Coding Specialist.
A Medical Billing and Coding Specialist’s job duties include accurately translating operations, equipment usage, diagnosis, and other healthcare services that are rendered to a patient into an alphanumerical code. The reason for this is to ensure that the patient or the patient’s healthcare insurance provider is billed for the appropriate things.
An individual wishing to enter this field needs to be meticulous to ensure that patients and patient’s healthcare insurance providers are not billed improperly and that the entire process of medical billing goes smoothly.
Benefits of a Career in Medical Records
- Very in-demand
- Flexible working hours
- You can work in various settings
- The training will not demand clinical visits
- You can immediately start working
What You Will Learn in the Coding Specialist Certificate Program
- Gain a solid foundation of learning in anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, and pathophysiology
- Train to work as a coding specialist in health data management
- Know the importance of ethical standards and medical law as required by national health service organizations
5. Cardiac Care Technician Certificate
A Cardiac Care Technician Certificate will allow an individual to pursue a career as a Cardiac Care Technician.
The job duties of this position include: assisting physicians by diagnosing and treating heart and blood vessel problems, taking images of the patient’s heart and peripheral blood vessels through both invasive and non-invasive procedures, such as catheterization, balloon angioplasty, and/or through the use of ultrasound equipment.
Cardiac Care Technicians are generally only employed by larger hospitals and healthcare providers, as smaller healthcare providers usually do not need the assistance that these employees provide.
Reasons Why You Should Become a Cardiovascular Technologist
A cardiovascular technician (CT) assists doctors in diagnosing and treating peripheral and cardiac vascular ailments. These professionals have three major areas of specialization: cardiac sonography, invasive cardiology, and vascular technology/sonography. Today, a cardiovascular technologist is very in demand. Why should you become one then?
- You will have critical thinking qualities. You will use reasoning and logic to identify the weaknesses and strengths of alternative solutions, approaches, and conclusions to problems, which are most fitting for a cardio technologist.
- You have so many job opportunities. Before deciding which vocational field to go for, it’s common sense to know what future the field provides. As a cardiovascular technician, you have so many job opportunities ahead. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects a 6% job employment growth in this field between 2022 and 2032. Within this period, roughly 5,500 jobs will open. They also predicted that employment in the field would grow quicker than all other occupations between 2022 and 2032.
- Good compensation. A career in cardio technology is fulfilling, but it also pays very well. Depending on the location, the median average pay of a cardiovascular technologist is $63,020 every year, and there is always a growing demand so you can earn more. The technologists with more certifications and specialized training are in a good position to ask for higher salaries. Thus, it’s worth exploring the different types of specialized credentials.
6. Associate in Healthcare Information and Management Systems Certificate
An Associate in Healthcare Information and Management Systems Certificate will allow individuals to enter the healthcare IT field.
This entry-level healthcare IT position’s administrative tasks and job duties include managing and designing databases, generating and analyzing reports, compiling information in a manner that both doctors and nurses will be able to understand, and maintain certain healthcare technologies, such as hospital servers and computers.
Both private and public healthcare providers hire Associates in Healthcare Information and Management Systems graduates, and starting a career with this entry-level position will allow individuals to be better poised to obtain better healthcare IT jobs later on.
The Benefits of Getting HIMSS Certification
- Education. HIMSS Certification provides educational benefits for a healthcare provider organization and its staff.
- Professional Development Resources. Certification at an organizational level will give you access to professional development resources such as the HIMSS JobMine portal.
- Networking Opportunities. When you join a HIMSS program, the networking opportunities are greatly advantageous in widening the scope of your organization.
7. Medical Office Specialist Certificate
A Medical Office Specialist Certificate will enable a student, upon successful program completion, to pursue a career in this field.
Duties that an average Medical Office Specialist will be responsible for include: greeting patients, scheduling appointments for patients, answering the phone, verifying patients’ registration and insurance information, and processing a patient’s billing information.
These duties may vary depending on the size and nature of the healthcare facility, as Medical Office Specialists are hired by both public and private healthcare providers, big and small. Individuals who wish to work in the healthcare field and who have excellent customer service skills are ideal candidates for this career.
The Advantages of Getting a Medical Office Specialist Certificate
- High Demand Means Job Security. Medical office specialists carry out vital tasks in different offices and clinics. However, because of the aging baby boomer population, the demand for healthcare service professionals is to greater heights. Many people enter their golden years. This equates to rapid growth in geriatric health problems that need skilled and professional attention.
- Flexible Schedules. As a medical office assistant, you can easily find work anywhere. This makes it easier for you to choose employment according to your schedule and lifestyle.
- Competitive Compensation. You can become a qualified medical office assistant in less than a year. Coupled with experience, it’s easy to find a job that pays very well.
Average Time for Program Completion: 8 to 12 Months
Median Annual Salary: $38,500 ($18.51 per hour)
Top School Offering the Program Online: National Career College
8. EKG Technician Certificate
An Electrocardiogram (EKG) Technician Certificate will allow individuals to pursue a healthcare career as an EKG Technician.
The job duties include hooking up patients to an Electrocardiogram machine and monitoring the patient’s heart vitals. This involves connecting wires and electrodes to various parts of the patient’s body, such as the chest, stomach, arms, and legs.
EKG Techs are generally hired by both public hospitals and private healthcare providers, allowing for an increase in hireability. Individuals who pursue a career as an EKG Technician are typically more interested in the technical aspects of healthcare.
9. Patient Care Technician Certificate
A Patient Care Technician Certificate will allow students to start a career in Patient Care.
The job description of a Patient Care Technician is a specific one. This professional performs care practices for patients, such as taking vital signs, collecting biosamples, performing catheterization, and assisting patients with tasks that they may be unable to perform themselves, such as helping them to eat and to complete personal hygiene tasks.
Patient Care Technicians are often employed by both public hospitals and private healthcare practices, such as doctor’s offices. Patient Care Technician certificates are often sought after by empathetic individuals.
Why You Should Have PCT Training for Your Future
Positive Job Outlook. The Department of Labor – Bureau of Labor Statistics said that employment for nursing assistants and orderlies is said to grow 5% from 2022 to 2032, which is just as fast as the usual average for all occupations.
You can help change the lives of others. As a patient care technician, you play a critical role in healthcare. You are there to care for and support patients through their stressful times. As a PCT, you have the chance to impact the lives of your patients. You are there to help patients perform basic tasks that they can no longer do without assistance. Some of the tasks as a PCT include:
- Bathing and cleaning patients or residents
- Assisting patients in using the bathroom
- Helping patients with getting dressed
- Re-positioning, turning, and transferring patients between beds and wheelchairs.
Valuable Experience. This could start a budding healthcare career path with a PCT certification. You have the chance to join in hands-on training and eventually decide if this field is right for you. When you have experience as a PCT, it’s easier to transition to another career later if you decide to move further your professional ladder.
10. Pharmacy Technician Certificate
With a Pharmacy Technician Certificate, students will be able to pursue a job in this field, as an assistant to a licensed Pharmacist.
Job responsibilities usually consist of various pharmacy-related functions, such as assisting customers, pharmacy administrative and bookkeeping duties, assisting with filling customers’ pharmaceutical orders, inventory control, and keeping the pharmacy area clean.
A career as a Pharmacy Tech is an excellent choice for those who wish to work in the healthcare sector, but do not want to work in a high-paced, high-stakes setting such as a hospital.
Often employed by both public hospitals and private healthcare practices, such as doctor’s offices. Patient Care Technician certificates are often sought after by empathetic individuals.
Top Reasons Why a Pharmacy Technician Certification is Worth It
- You will learn from experienced professionals in the field. This is particularly helpful if you are new to the pharmacy tech field. With a certification program, you will learn from real experts and professionals in the field. You will know more about some tips and tricks of the industry in a more supportive environment while building a solid network of colleagues and mentors.
- You will learn mathematical skills used in pharmacy practices. Pharmacists do the brunt of pharmacology and math. On the other hand, pharmacy technicians are called to calculate dosages and convert measurements for compounds and injectable medications. When you have the Pharmacy Technician Certification, you can accumulate and practice these math skills.
- You will learn how to use software programs to manage and process medications. In today’s technology-driven world, most prescription medications are electronic prescriptions. As a pharmacy technician, you should be able to quickly locate, retrieve, and record data on these medications. Therefore you must have a strong understanding of how electronic systems work, and you can only learn this when you get your certification.
11. Psychiatric Technician Certification Program
As psychiatric technicians deal with various patients, their work does not feel routinized. They may work with severely disabled children and adults, addiction patients, and mental health patients.
It is a challenging and rewarding profession to provide therapeutic care to patients. If such noble tasks appeal to you, you should consider gaining a certificate as a psychiatric technician.
Post-secondary certifications in psychiatry or behavioral technology are the most common formal training. Being a successful psychiatric technician requires both academic training and structured work experience.
Some of the subjects you will learn in this certificate program are:
- Addiction & Recovery
- Mental Health Technician
- Abnormal Psychology
- Personal Excellence
12. Medical Assistant Certification Program
Any healthcare business depends on Medical Assistants, and you can earn a rewarding career as a Medical Assistant. This online Medical Assistant certificate program will provide you with valuable skills. In addition to taking vital signs, Med Assistants maintain patient records.
The skills you acquire as a Medical Assistant will help you find work in doctors’ offices, hospitals, outpatient clinics, medical labs, and nursing homes. Job opportunities for Medical Assistants are growing rapidly as well.
Benefits of being a medical assistant:
- Job growth – As the baby boom generation ages, the demand for medical assistants will increase. The number of people seeking preventive medical care is increasing, and doctors are typically responsible for providing these services. This will lead to doctors seeking more medical assistants to perform efficient jobs.
- Expertise – On-the-job training and continuing education provide medical assistants with medical and technological knowledge. Students learn medical terminologies, anatomy and physiology basics, office management skills, and keyboarding techniques. Medical assistants must also keep up with the latest advancements in the field.
- Working with people – Another benefit of being a medical assistant is that it can grow your social skills since you’ll always be surrounded by people. As a medical assistant, you work alongside doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals. You can always communicate with your patients and help them get treated.
13. Occupational Therapy Aide Career Diploma
It is relatively easy to become a certified occupational therapy assistant (OTA). A high school diploma or GED is usually required for admission into a certification program for OT assistants.
A majority of these programs last between nine and twelve months, and their tuition fees are affordable. So, if being an occupational therapy aide appeals to you, it’s time to enroll in this career diploma.
Through classroom lectures and on-the-job training, students prepare for their future careers as occupational therapy assistants. As part of the program, basic life support and CPR certifications will be offered.
Reasons to enroll in an occupational therapy aide diploma:
- Communicating effectively with patients, the rehabilitation team, and other personnel is a major benefit of this course.
- Students can complete the coursework on their own terms.
- This diploma will provide entry-level workers with the skills and knowledge they need.
- In the following decade, the job rate is expected to rise to 23%.
14. Global Health Certificate Program
Nurses specializing in global health practice a holistic view of healthcare. Their research focuses on the interactions between populations worldwide, and how that impacts medical practice.
With this certificate program, you can explore different job opportunities on an international scale. You can even work for government agencies and non-profit organizations. Global health courses can be useful not only for careers in academia but also for careers in sociology, economics, and cultural studies.
These are the objectives of the certification program:
- Through the application of relevant social and behavioral theories, you will be able to diagnose and understand the behaviors of individuals, social networks, organizations, communities, and policymakers when developing, implementing, evaluating, and maintaining community-based primary health care programs.
- At the end of the program, students develop foundational knowledge for planning appropriate primary health care programs.
15. Certificate in Precision Nutrition Level 1
Precision Nutrition focuses on the impact of diet on the overall health and wellness of patients. A nutrition course can be valuable to nurses in gastroenterology and oncology departments and your entire career.
The knowledge of nutrition can also contribute to your career prospects outside of hospitals and can be helpful to people around you as you guide them to live and eat healthily.
In addition to Precision Nutrition’s limited enrollment, the International Sports Science Association (ISSA) offers this course anytime. PN offers nutritional coaching to clients, and at the same time, they provide this certification program to future nutritionists.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I consider a short-term Healthcare Training Certificate program?
There are several reasons why earning a certificate in this career field is important. In general, jobs in healthcare are on the rise. Quality personnel who are properly trained are essential. In addition, although you may have only spent a short while earning your certificate, salaries are often very good; therefore, yielding you a nice return on your investment.
If you are not sure if a career in healthcare is for you… earning a certificate will provide adequate training for jobs that could lead to promotions if you decide later to pursue nursing or the like.
Will a short-term Healthcare Training Certificate prepare me to sit for the necessary examinations needed to begin work?
In most cases, certificate programs that prepare you for healthcare training will also prepare you for the necessary licensure testing needed in your state. However, before signing on to a program, you need to check the requirements mandated by your state and then check with the program to verify that upon completion… you will qualify for testing.
Can I earn a short-term Healthcare Training Certificate online?
Today, most students can find an online program focused on just about anything; however, depending on your area of interest in healthcare, you may do most of your studies online, but also, if your focus is on a hands-on approach to taking care of patients, clinical or lab time may be required on-campus to graduate.
If you are interested in medical coding or an administrative position, often 100% online certificate programs are available.
What are the benefits of getting a Health Care Training Certificate?
Let’s say you can secure a job as a health care aide minus a formal education. Do you even bother going to school for it? Yes, because you have better opportunities. Therefore, it’s safe to say that applicants with a healthcare aid certificate program have higher chances of better employment than the non-certified ones. Why?
Employers prefer certified applicants. Because of the increase of regulations in health facilities, employers prefer to hire someone who has knowledge and training of the job position and workplace environment before receiving in-house training. Employers know that those candidates who invested in their training and certification are at a lower risk of breaching workplace regulations.
Students can have the chance to work for the health facility where their practicum is held. During your practicum, you get to show how well-trained and knowledgeable you are for an HCA position. Later on, this will allow you to work within the organization once you complete your program.
You can maximize your knowledge of the field. Most certification program now integrates textbook materials and hands-on experience. This will teach you further about your duties and responsibilities as a health care aide. This gives you an edge since you have already maximized your job knowledge before you receive training.
Are you ready to learn more? Check this out:
- Best Online Certificate of Nursing Assistant Programs
- Best Online Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Programs
Need more information?
- Most Lucrative Short Certificate Programs
- The Fastest Online Certificate Degrees
- The Best Online Accredited Trade Schools
- The Best Online Community College in Every State
- The Best Online Leadership Certificate Programs
- Can I advance my career with a short-term healthcare training certificate program?
- What can I do upon the completion of a short-term healthcare training certificate program?